Mittwoch, 27. Januar 2010

25. 1. Leaving Sodom and Gomorrah







Manuel had to go to the hospital for further examinations. I went to Sodom and Gomorrah again, this time with Mamasita. We went by “Trotro”, the public busses. This time we visited the other side of the river, the “residential area”. It was 10 o´clock in the morning, and many children were playing between the e-waste on the riverside. They did not speak English, so they probably don´t go to school at all. We played with them and took photos, Mamasita bought water sachets for all of them, which made them really happy. Then back to the other side, were they burned out copper and lead as usual: flames and smoke, children working, girls selling water, a herd of cows eating the organic waste in between.

The girls found photographs in the waste, some old black & white, some faded colour pix. They gave them to me, laughing, and I gave them water - another nice dividend for one of our lucky shareholders.

Mamasita presumed, that this site will grow in the future; I decided to think positive -activists like Mike Anane will raise consciousness, and this madness will stop within the next years. We will do our best to help to spread the information.

I took a taxi to the New Accra Shopping Mall to meet Manuel and Stefan with the truck. There was so much trash on the street, so I decided to throw out my dirty paper handkerchief out of the cab. Immediately a policeman approached and told me, that this is not allowed. Embarrassed, I apologized, and he let me go. The taxi driver told me, that this could have cost me a fine of 100,- Sidis (Eur 50,-), or 6 months of prison as an alternative. Keep Ghana clean!

The doctor allowed Manuel to go, so we left Accra. It was clear, that our budget will not allow us to go to Lagos for further research: Lagos is far too expensive, and we are running out of private money as well. We decided to go back to Cotonou.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen